Wednesday, July 1, 2009

thirtysomething?


So there I was, celebrating another friend’s 30th birthday. This time around, it was Paul. You see, his sweet girlfriend, Mandy, (there’s your shout-out) gathered together a few high-school buddies to celebrate our friend. So needless to say, I was excited. I was looking forward to catching up and remembering the good ol’ days. And we did. We talked about our jobs, our houses, and their kids. We chatted it up and laughed a whole lot. It was really nice. But about halfway through the evening, I thought to myself, When did our birthday parties morph into subdued dinner parties? When did we grow up? And are we really 30?

The thing is, this wasn’t the first time those thoughts entered my mind. About a week or so before Paul’s shindig, it hit me — I was 30. Between us, I had quite the moment of panic, but after a talk with LC, my rapper friend, Lil’ La La, and a few other kids, I got a grip and pulled through. But as I looked around the table that night at Paul’s party, I wondered, When did Blake become a lawyer? And when did Talley become such a serious, level-headed man? And when did Scott (a.k.a. “Sweet Daddy”) have a kid? And when did I end up with a big-boy job, a mortgage, a yard, bills, and a dog? It seems just like yesterday that we were cruising the strip in Smithville, burning up the roads between Pizza Inn, McDonald’s, and the car wash. What happened to my primed, not painted, Nissan truck with the shiny rims? And what about Paul’s fire engine-like truck? And when did we start having nice dinners together instead of piling up at Chrissy’s house or jumping in the lake on a hot summer’s night or egging cars and bashing … OK, it’s probably a good thing that we stopped some of that, but seriously! The bottom line, when did we become adults?

Alright, enough of that — back to Paul’s party. As the night grew longer, a few us ended up at this high-class establishment off of Highway 109 between Nashville and Lebanon. Much to my surprise, we were all livening up just a bit. We were beginning to get a little more loud and a little more rowdy. I actually caught a glimpse of us back in the day. And then, as Paul, Blake, and myself were belting out “Dixieland Delight” on the karaoke stage, it struck me — I still got it. Heck, we all still got it. And that night, as I laid my head on the pillow, I breathed a sigh of relief. I am 30, and it’s OK … actually, it’s great! And the next morning, I woke up and did yard work.

4 comments:

  1. You know, 30 is the new 20; you're young enough to still get away with a crazy night, but old enough to know that you don't want them all the time. Thanks for the trip down strip-riding memory lane. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yes you've still got "it." Plus, how great that you can add things like master landscape architect to the list of things that make you happy. Who knows, maybe you haven't even peaked yet! ~ LC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patterson, 30? I thought 40 was the new 20. Personally I say we move it to 40 it give us all some more time.

    Nathan if it helps any, I always think your the same age as me. So in my mind your still 26- you've still got 4 years until your 30. Live it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do not still have it do to the fact you never had it. Where was my shout out?

    ReplyDelete