Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hank & Me





John Grogan, the dude who penned Marley & Me, is a genius … not because he is some brilliant writer or some amazing storyteller, but because he took everyday tales of his neurotic dog, turned them into a complete work, and made millions. And the truth is, if you have ever had a pup, you could have done the same. Well, at least, I think I could have.

In January of 2008, I had the bright idea to adopt a puppy. The result: Hank. When I first saw his photo, I knew he was the one I wanted, and the deal was definitely sealed when I came face-to-face with the little butterball. (Oh, if you’re wondering, Hank is a Basset Hound/Lab mix … not really sure how that happened.)

Anyway, the first few weeks together were quite interesting and quite the adjustment … at least on my end. I had grown accustomed to coming and going as I pleased. I was a single twentysomething and ate and drank of life. Then all of a sudden, I had this creature who pooped and peed where he pleased and cried and screeched through all hours of the night. On top of all of this, Hank constantly sought my attention (and still does) and constantly chewed and gnawed on anything he found interesting (again, still does).

In the beginning, our time was spent in a small, studio apartment. Almost daily, I would think to myself, It will get better once we are in a house and have a yard. I was wrong. The bigger space, the one-acre lot, and the family-friendly neighborhood have only added fuel to Hank’s fire. Since May of last year, Hank has jacked up my lawnmower … twice, ravaged the weed eater, escaped and chased many a walker, exasperated the neighbor’s cats, … OK, you get it — this could go on forever.

At this point, for those of you who don’t have a pet, you’re probably thinking that I hate my dog. And, honestly, I do sometimes. Hank can annoy me and frustrate me like none other. But, then, I’ll catch a glimpse of him doing something hilarious or cute, and all is well. He’s definitely not a well-trained dog, but we have fun together. I love our boxing matches, and I love our games of hide-and-seek. I love his insane excitement and barking when I say the name “Obama.” (Yes, Hank is a Democrat, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.) And, of course, I love his curiosity, his loyalty, and his companionship. All this to say, I honestly cannot imagine life without Hank, but I’m pretty sure LC can.    

 

    

1 comment:

  1. Not true. I love the little guy! I'd never give up the affirmation of him going crazy when my car pulls in the driveway, or constantly checking to make sure I'm still behind him when we're on a walk. But I do wish sometimes that he still looked like he does in the tub picture. And that he understood what I was saying to him all the time.

    ReplyDelete