Friday, June 12, 2009

Spacehog, Doritos, & Bear Mountain


I can't speak for the ladies, but every single guy needs a married couple to call his own — a "Monica and Chandler," if you will. Single guys need a couple they can hang out with, crash with when it's "too late" to drive home, double-date with, and the like. But, more importantly, guys need a married couple to watch and learn from.

For me, this couple is Brian and Sheri. The three of us have been friends for more than 10 years now. In a nutshell, we have done life together. We took care of one another through some crazy college days, and I mean crazy. I watched them walk down the aisle, and they have watched me stumble through many a relationship. We have vacationed together, road tripped together, and pitched a few tents along the way. We have swum lakes and pools, rafted rivers, and tubed creeks. We've climbed pseudo rocks and very real mountains (literally and figuratively). We've talked, we've laughed, and we've eaten. And we've even taken a nap or two together. 

Not only have Brian and Sheri been two of my best friends, their marriage has been a solid model for me. (God knows I need all the ones I can get.) They're not perfect, but they're real. I have seen tough decisions made and lots of fun had. I have seen them argue, and I have seen them laugh. They take care of each other, support each other, and work with each other. And I feel like they're as happy today as they were back in college ... unless they're not telling me something.

But, alas, as I am writing this, my "Monica and Chandler" are riding off into the sunset (a.k.a. "moving to D.C."). And while I am bummed, I am so happy for the new life they are beginning there ... mostly because it will be a great place to visit. I, of course, will miss "Fat Boy" and "Sheri D-Light," but I do have the memories of listening to Spacehog, feasting on every flavor of Doritos, hiking to the top of Bear Mountain, and so many more. And best of all, I know that I am a better person because they are a part of my life.

So see you soon, my friends ... you better have my room ready for me!

6 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part of this post (other than the Brian and Sheri part), are your memories of listening to Spacehog. Three cheers for the 90s!

    Welcome to the blogosphere, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first post friend. Welcome to the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap - Mary Anna beat me (just remember I was your first follower and I commented twice as much as she did).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww, this is so sweet. Lots and lots of good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very proud of you. You are able to put you feelings into WORDS, something I have never been able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know who Spacehog is. I do however feel like I know Brian and Sherri because of how fondly you talk about them. At least you'll have a great place to stay in DC!

    Welcome to blog world!

    ReplyDelete